2012 oil filter change and check valve issues

probak118

First time changing oil outside of dealer myself since the DJ was purchased new. Was letting the pan and filter holder assembly sit and drain longer when I heard a popping noise and noticed two items flying in the air. After googling and realizing two parts now where not part of the assembly. Actually I never noticed them in the first place, as they were inside the cylinder cage. Found the oil filter spring and a broken check valve after half and hour lying in the bottom of the engine compartment. See images attached ( hopefully) but they are dealer items that thru the dealer the entire filter holder assembly must be bought. Luckily, amazon has the two pieces sold as a pair for only ( $ 28 cdn ).  I have since been told 2013 and earlier DJs have this plastic check valve and spring, what are the odds of it breaking the FIRST time I decide to change oil myself on this car ? I can't help but think the Chrysler quick oil change labourers had it break on them and simply put it together again without mentioning what happened ? Who knows, ordered replacement parts and will simply install during the next oil and filter change. Did not save any money on this oil change but learned a little something.

engine oil filter assembly.jpeg81EnloC28-L._AC_SY355_.jpg.b2c20235f96c398f2eaa951987faa785.jpg

engine oil filter check valve and spring.jpeg

Edited by probak118
adding images

never had it happen on my 2011 sold it with 70 k on it, if this doesn't fix your problem ,you could change out the oil cooler with the newer cooler that has this check valve built in it, of course the cost would be a lot higher but would be a great upgrade if you decide to

2 hours ago, Armando G said:

Thanks for the post, my oil change is due and thinking of doing it myself this time. Mines a '15, so I'm assuming I don't have these parts? 

correct they changed with the earlier model yr i have 2014 it has the new improved oil cooler   ALSO be aware that they have 2 different oil filters due to this change so make sure you get the correct one