Correct oil quantity for 3.6l

djw11

Hi have a 11 DJ RT 3.6l - changing my own oil/filter and trying determine how much new oil to add, my manual states 6qt or 5.2ltres, But I added amount of  5.5 litres and that gets me just to lower hashmarks on dipstick, I read eslewhere that engine takes 5.6litres? 
where am to fill oil to,  top of hashmarks which would require additional 1ltre then  it would be over a total of 6.5litres - well above service manual quantity. (After changing I did run engine for 5 minutes before checking oil level)

Thanks

Pre edit: before I posted the following, I quickly searched 5.6 liters to US qts. and,
5.6L = 5.91 qts.
There is no problem with your engine, just seems there was an issue of conversion between metric and freedom units. 

I'm thinking FCA made a typo- It's really in the manual like that? No way! Leave it to us Americans to not know how to convert into metric in a technical document distributed in global markets!:hammer_self:

---------------------------

Hi,
I've got the 2011 with the 3.6 v6 also.

I've noticed the same issue you've mentioned, and never really think about it much after closing the hood. When I use 6qts, It sometimes feels a bit low on the dip-stick.

I've got tired of buying extra quarts of oil only to use it half way, so ultimately my band-aid solution was:

Leave a tiny bit more residual oil in the pan when I close.

By changing the oil it faster, and closing the drain plug  with a marginal amount of residual oil in the engine keeps the oil level in the 50% acceptable range when refilling with only 6qts. (5.6L)

Edited by NavalLacrosse

Thanks for the response, here is the manual details , for your eyes only! Lol

i am going with the 5.6litre fill which puts the oil in the middle of the safe zone on dipstick 

But in reality if a person was to go by the manual, the engine would be under filled and possibly resulting in damage?

666CEDBD-3A7B-4945-9C8C-AF362C13C6BB.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve noticed fill amount also seems a little low after oil change on my 3.6 as well.  Haven’t  put a level on my  engine compartment or waited over night for drainage, which in winter might help. I’m using the 5w20 factory spec oil.

i wonder if the filter gets saturated and holds absorbed oil which throws the fill amount off.

Containers also hold a bit of residual oil , especially if using multiple quart containers in winter. Try propping up empty containers for 10 mins each and see how much oil seeps out, its surprising.