2016 journey clunk

Shawn855

2016 dodge journey with 75,000 kms. Noticed that if I go slow over bumps, or even a gravel driveway, that i can hear some front end noise. Like a soft clunking. On both sides. Only happens when going slow. When going normal speed there are no noises whatsoever. 

I'm thinking strut mount(s) or sway bar link(s). What do you guys and gals think? 

Thanks

It's hard to say. I had a 2013 Dodge Avenger that had the same problem after around 40,000 miles. At first I though it was something in the suspension, but after checking everything out, couldn't find anything. Also, it was intermittent. It would do it more often when it was warm outside. I could hear it and feel it through the steering wheel. It almost never did it in cold weather. Never found anything, and it never worsened. It didn't matter if I was going straight or turning. Unfortunately, we never figured it out and I recently traded it in on my new Journey, so will never know. 

Hrrmmm your post reminds me to check to see if it only happens when going straight or if it does it when turning as well lol. Will report back my findings in a couple hours. 

Also I agree, it doesn't seem to be getting any worse which is why i'm just taking my time troubleshooting it. Hoping to gather some ideas and thoughts on what it can be in the meantime. 

Suspension noises can be tricky to trouble shoot.

The stabilizer bar on a car is to help handling by transferring weight to the opposite side of car when turning. Rather than just throwing parts at it there are steps you can do to help diagnose noise source.

Front and rear stabilizer bars are not  carrying weight so easiest way to see if it’s the source is to remove the end links and just leave the bar in place. This separates the assembly parts and allows you to safely drive it to check for noise. If it’s gone the source is either the end links or the two bushings on the stabilizer bar. You could even drive a few days with out end links in place until you get parts.

If noise is still there, there are now quite a few potential sources for noise unfortunately.  Struts are the most common wear item for noise, but there are parts often over looked , like the link rod or lateral arm bushings in the rear suspension. Not that expensive but changing them can affect alignment, so not just a diy job. Even Worn subframe mounts can create weird noises. Mechanics stethoscope can be handy for finding stuff, not very expensive either.

Spaying lube like someone mentioned also quite useful to isolate sources. But not a fix. 

Edited by John/Horace