Oil leak...But where???

checkstr

Hi...I took my car for an oil change this morning (to the dealership).  While the car was on the hoist, they checked the underside and noticed oil leakage but couldn't determine where it was coming from.  It was dripping onto the CV axle from somewhere above (Passenger side).  There is never a stain on the driveway, so it's a slow enough leak and is (I'm assuming) burning off while I drive.  It's still concerning nonetheless, and since it was an express lube within the Dodge dealership, they do not investigate the problems and would need to book a service appt.

I have already replaced the oil cooler, so I'm doubtful it's coming from there. Where else can it be leaking from?  They mentioned that if they have issues locating the leak, they'd need to wash the engine and then check in intervals (depending on how small the leak is). This car never ceases to amaze me $$$$

Year - 2014

Engine - 3.6L

Drivetrain - FWD

Model - Limited

passenger side,well it probally is the oil cooler leaking, did you replace it or the dealership?either way also check your coolant bottle to see if any oil residual is getting in there as well, good luck,               i stay away from any and all quick oil change places,             my daughter takes her jeep into the dealership for her oil changes and not sure what happened but the next day she seen oil all over the driveway ,lucky shes got concrete, so she took it back and they gave her some mumbo jombo speech about what happened but they redid it and gave her a free oil change, she really couldn't remember what they told her they did to it? KIDS.......

The express lube is actually part of the Dodge dealership. You have two options, either book the oil change as a Service appointment or go through the express bay if you are only getting an oil change. Therefore, a Dodge approved service.  As for the oil cooler, it was replaced last year at a Dodge dealership using an OEM part.

Thanks for the advice...When the temperature gets warmer, I’ll check it out under the hood. Currently -20 degrees Celsius.

It hit -23C around -5F early this morning here, not trouble shooting weather. 

Its a real chore cleaning up the mess between the cyclinder head valleys during the heat exchanger replacement. It’s possible there is lingering oil from last years repair and the snow/slush has washed down some of the old oil.

Single oring seals holding up to 700 kpa or approx 100 psi of pressure during cold start ups and warm up. I wonder if it should have been double oring design. I always use 5w20 synthetic hoping to  keep oil pressure a little lower. 

Dealer charged me $380 IIRCC for complete assembly with all sensors; fairly cheap for something this complex, maybe corporately discounted to reduce customer backlash. Volume moving  items would be cheaper how ever.

Passenger side leak could also be crankshaft pulley front seal; cheap $10 part fairly easy fix. Leak would be directly below pulley on front of engine. Usually a high milage engine failure item. Good luck....keep warm.

1 hour ago, checkstr said:

The express lube is actually part of the Dodge dealership. You have two options, either book the oil change as a Service appointment or go through the express bay if you are only getting an oil change. Therefore, a Dodge approved service.  As for the oil cooler, it was replaced last year at a Dodge dealership using an OEM part.

Thanks for the advice...When the temperature gets warmer, I’ll check it out under the hood. Currently -20 degrees Celsius.

you should have a 12 month and 12 k warranty on the oil cooler repair ...dont let it expire before finding out where your leak is

• Official Dodge Support
16 hours ago, checkstr said:

Hi...I took my car for an oil change this morning (to the dealership).  While the car was on the hoist, they checked the underside and noticed oil leakage but couldn't determine where it was coming from.  It was dripping onto the CV axle from somewhere above (Passenger side).  There is never a stain on the driveway, so it's a slow enough leak and is (I'm assuming) burning off while I drive.  It's still concerning nonetheless, and since it was an express lube within the Dodge dealership, they do not investigate the problems and would need to book a service appt.

I have already replaced the oil cooler, so I'm doubtful it's coming from there. Where else can it be leaking from?  They mentioned that if they have issues locating the leak, they'd need to wash the engine and then check in intervals (depending on how small the leak is). This car never ceases to amaze me $$$$

Year - 2014

Engine - 3.6L

Drivetrain - FWD

Model - Limited

Hi checkstr, I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble resolving this concern. If you do choose to return your vehicle to your dealer for diagnosis, please feel free to reach out to us here via a private message. We are happy to help!
Rob
DodgeCares

Really good point made by 2late4u about warranty on repair  done last year.

If it is heat exchanger replacement again. Consider changing out the rear spark plugs that are accessible in minutes with the big plastic intake manifold out of the way. Saves approx.1.5 hrs of labour doing that at the same time. 

I think approx.100k mikes or 150 Kms for plugs is recommended replacement interval. The three ignition coils I would probably reuse unless really high milage vehicle.

Yup, which is why I’ve only used Dodge services for oil changes since I had it fixed the first time. It cost me over a grand to fix so I didn’t want to risk it happening again. But if it is the oil cooler again, I’m going to be pretty pi**ed! This car alone in the past year and a half has cost me a pretty penny to keep it on the road.

That sucks . I believe they are stripping motor mount and stuff off front of engine to do cover  seal. Draining glycol. Maybe Consider changing water pump if you are keeping vehicle and milage is over 100k. Very easy to do if in that deep. 

My water pump started to drip at 148K kms. I thought it was weep hole on bearing and waited few months to do it (very tiny leak). It turned out the weird $20 aluminum/plastic pump gasket had a bad spot on it; when I took out pump. The pump bearing perfectly quiet and pump could have been reused. But after taking 1.5 hrs to remove pump, decided to put in the $100 new pump anyway.