Beingcool

Hey Journey owners! I have a 16 Jeep Compass and I have the same 4 cylinder 2.4 as some of you do. I have been dealing with this P000B code for a minute now and getting desperate as I can’t pass emissions. I’ve replaced - both cam sensors, both vvt solenoids, and the oil pressure switch. Everything checks out. Oil pressure is good, the car runs completely healthy no stutters. Code still pops up. The only thing however, the car would shake when I’m stopped in drive, not sure if that means anything. 

I’m down to diagnosing the wires. I used a digital multimeter to check the connectors on both cam sensors, both sides checked out at 5v. HOWEVER, I checked the opposite side where both VVT solenoids are, and both connections are giving me 0v. I read online this should be 12v. 

What are the chances both connections are bad? Am I just testing them incorrectly? I did the same exact way as I did with the cam sensors. Could this be the wire or the PCM itself? Any help/input is appreciated. Need someone to save me lol

Code is for EXHAUST camshaft position sensor SLOW RESPONSE. How long have you been going on oil change intervals?

Check/clean/replace the oil control solenoids for the VVT system mounted on the cylinder head.

LOL, I see you say you already replaced OCS solenoids. RECHECK that oil is getting to them sufficiently for operation. You may have good engine oil pressure, but that does not mean the cylinder head is getting proper flow. How many miles on this 5 year old 2.4 motor?

Edited by 5rebel9

3 hours ago, 5rebel9 said:

Code is for EXHAUST camshaft position sensor SLOW RESPONSE. How long have you been going on oil change intervals?

Check/clean/replace the oil control solenoids for the VVT system mounted on the cylinder head.

LOL, I see you say you already replaced OCS solenoids. RECHECK that oil is getting to them sufficiently for operation. You may have good engine oil pressure, but that does not mean the cylinder head is getting proper flow. How many miles on this 5 year old 2.4 motor?

74k miles. Oil change has been kept up all its life. Checked both cam sensor connectors with a digital multimeter, they both came out to 5v. I checked the vvt solenoids connectors, both intake and exhaust side said 0v. Read it’s supposed to be 12v. Idk if I’m doing the test right or it’s just completely dead, I did the same exact steps for all connectors.

And that is why I focused in on oil. SLOW RESPONSE, wiring is most likely OK. You may need to open up the Valve cover and confirm for possible sludge and oil supply passage for the Exhaust OCS. NOT plug and play parts or electricals.

Good luck and let us here on the DJ forum know what happens with this concern on your Jeeps 2.4 motor!

Test The Sensor Circuit Hall Effect sensor: Start by checking the ground side of the circuit. To do this, connect a DMM set to DC volts between the battery positive terminal and sensor ground terminal on the harness side of the connector. If there is a good ground, you should get a reading of about 12 volts. Next, check the 5-volt reference side of the circuit by connecting a DMM set to volts between the battery negative terminal and the sensor reference terminal on the harness side of the connector. Turn the  Check the ground side of the circuit. To do this, connect DMM set to DC volts between the battery positive terminal and sensor ground terminal on the harness side of the connector. If there is a good ground, you should get a reading of about 12 volts. If not, the circuit will need to be diagnosed and repaired. Test The Oil Control Solenoid Remove the solenoid connector. Use a digital multimeter set to ohms to check the internal resistance of the solenoid. To do this, connect the meter between the solenoid B+ terminal and the solenoid ground terminal. Compare the resistance measurement to the factory repair specifications. If the meter displays a reading out of specification, or out of limits (OL) indicating an open circuit, the solenoid should be replaced. It's also a good idea to remove the solenoid to visually inspect the screen for metal debris. Check The Oil Control Solenoid Circuit Check the power side of circuit: Remove the solenoid connector. With the vehicle ignition on, use a digital multimeter set to DC volts to check for power at the solenoid (usually 12 volts). To do this, connect the negative meter lead to battery negative terminal and the positive meter lead to the solenoid B+ terminal on harness side of the connector. The meter should read 12 volts. If not, the circuit will need to be diagnosed and repaired. Check the ground side of the circuit: Remove the solenoid connector. With the vehicle ignition on, use a digital multimeter set to DC volts to check for ground. To do this, connect the positive meter lead to battery positive terminal and the negative meter lead to the solenoid ground terminal on harness side of the connector. Command the solenoid on with an OEM equivalent scan tool. The meter should read 12 volts. If not present, the circuit will need to be diagnosed and repaired. Check the timing chain and VVT actuators If everything checks out up to this point, the problem may be with timing chain, corresponding, or VVT actuators. Remove the necessary components to access the timing chain and actuators. Check the chain for excess play, broken guides and/or tensioners. Check the actuators for visible damage, such as worn teeth. 

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p000b
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 5rebel9 said:

This is not a very common code problem to have, so after 2 weeks since last posting ... ANY PROGRESS to report?

No progress. Light is still on. I’ve been driving it around like this no problem lol, f*** this thing. Thank you for the check up