not journey related but could be

well my grandson has a fwd Altima and I put it in for a 4 wheel alignment at the local garage as it would slowly drift to the right when going down the center crown of the road,well the mechanic called me and said it was the right side CV axle going bad as he said and we test drove it and while going straight he said to let go of the wheel and hit the gas and when I did it pulled real quick to the right, well I said okay to the replacement But it didn't fix that issue so he he reinstalled the OEM axle back and didn't charge me for any of that work(wow) and he did say it was out of alignment a bit, so he fixed that and he thinks it is  the right  engine mount going bad?? (((haven't had a good chance to check it out as he needed the car back right away to go to work in)))the  mechanic  checked the brakes and wheel bearing hub  and said that wasn't the cause but that he doesn't do eng mounts and and on the Altima it was a real pain to change.... So what do you all think it could be I guess it could be the right side engine mount as he said..... other than hitting the gas real hard while letting go of the steering wheel the car drives fine no vibrations,no real noticeable symptoms, was doing this before I had the new plugs installed as well,,, 2018 4 cyl  with around 120k on it, thanks in advance

I have not heard of slight drift in cars for some years now. BUT in my day a a tech we noted such as you describe as TIRE PULL. Try cross rotating the front tires and see if the drift stops or pulls LEFT, if so it will need a new pair of tires.

I used to "play" with these kind of problems all the time35-40 years ago when I did primarily suspension/brake /tire and alignment work.

the mechanic did switch the front tires thinking it might be the tires but it didn't change after swapping them,,after the alinement driving straight down the center of the road with hands off the steering wheel,,,but if you hit the gas pedal real hard it will pull to the right real fast,, going to have the grandson bring it over next weekend so I can look the engine mounts over real good have been watching a lot of you tube videos on replacing the top right front and there other one right behind it they call that one a torque mount sounds like the Altima seen to have problems with them, no mention of this problem just rotting out quickly,doesn't look to bad on replacing them....LOL

38 minutes ago, John/Horace said:

I have heard of engine mounts doing that. The front to rear engine mounts or roll stops seem to have the most effect on handling. They are not normally hard to change.  Rubber will look torn. 

thanks I am waiting on getting his car next weekend or when ever he can get it by here

As you accelerate and brake these mounts are affected on transverse mount engines. The exhaust takes some of the extra movement when the mounts are worn. You can end up with flex section leaks after a while. 

On 7/29/2024 at 5:14 PM, 2late4u said:

well my grandson has a fwd Altima and I put it in for a 4 wheel alignment at the local garage as it would slowly drift to the right when going down the center crown of the road,well the mechanic called me and said it was the right side CV axle going bad as he said and we test drove it and while going straight he said to let go of the wheel and hit the gas and when I did it pulled real quick to the right, well I said okay to the replacement But it didn't fix that issue so he he reinstalled the OEM axle back and didn't charge me for any of that work(wow) and he did say it was out of alignment a bit, so he fixed that and he thinks it is  the right  engine mount going bad?? (((haven't had a good chance to check it out as he needed the car back right away to go to work in)))the  mechanic  checked the brakes and wheel bearing hub  and said that wasn't the cause but that he doesn't do eng mounts and and on the Altima it was a real pain to change.... So what do you all think it could be I guess it could be the right side engine mount as he said..... other than hitting the gas real hard while letting go of the steering wheel the car drives fine no vibrations,no real noticeable symptoms, was doing this before I had the new plugs installed as well,,, 2018 4 cyl  with around 120k on it, thanks in advance

You did not say it had already been tried before I responded, and is a simple step to do. Yes it could be a bad mount, but would have to be in pretty bad shape and plainly seen by your mechanic since he also went thru all that work to replace the the axle shaft.

Looking forward to how this "plays out" for your Grandson's ride!

47 minutes ago, Itswiggs said:

Struts 

as I said had the front end alignment and  I had the mechanic check the brakes ,wheel hub bearings and struts out as well ,also its not the struts as actually they had been replaced last yr at the Nissan dealership

Sorry I didn’t see where you wrote struts in the original post. If your alignment is off it’s something with your front end even if it’s only when accelerating. Was anything else changed when dealer did your struts? Has a curb been hit on one side or the other. Also, found this on a Nissan forum hope this helps….. 

“The condition you have is considered TORQUE STEER. The steering veers or pulls to one side during hard acceleration. Here are conditions that can cause it:

* - Loose or collapsed control arm bushings.
* - Loose or worn tie rod ends.
* - Loose or worn inner tie rod sockets.
* - Loose or broken engine/transaxle mounts.

Also check the front and rear alignment. If the car dealer changed the alignment to cause the pull to go to the right side, then it's possible the alignment was done incorrectly. IMO, go to another shop and get an alignment check. Your Nissan dealer may be trying to stiff you.”

posted by “rogoman” from nissanclub.com

6 hours ago, Itswiggs said:

Sorry I didn’t see where you wrote struts in the original post. If your alignment is off it’s something with your front end even if it’s only when accelerating. Was anything else changed when dealer did your struts? Has a curb been hit on one side or the other. Also, found this on a Nissan forum hope this helps….. 

“The condition you have is considered TORQUE STEER. The steering veers or pulls to one side during hard acceleration. Here are conditions that can cause it:

Also check the front and rear alignment. If the car dealer changed the alignment to cause the pull to go to the right side, then it's possible the alignment was done incorrectly. IMO, go to another shop and get an alignment check. Your Nissan dealer may be trying to stiff you.”

posted by “rogoman” from nissanclub.com      this is a local brake and alinement shop doing that work and he said he looked the front end over and everything looked okay so that is why he said it was probably the CV axle, since he tried that and then put the OEM back in for no charge tells me he is an honest tech, and he said that everything was good on the front end and everything you mentioned must have been okay or he would have replaced them, not sure what's wrong but as of now the altima drives straight down the road as of this time, whereas before it was slightly drifting to the right when you let go of the wheel,, will let everyone know what we find out might a week or two before I can get my hands on it again to do some checking the mounts

4 hours ago, 2late4u said:
11 hours ago, Itswiggs said:

posted by “rogoman” from nissanclub.com      this is a local brake and alinement shop doing that work and he said he looked the front end over and everything looked okay so that is why he said it was probably the CV axle, since he tried that and then put the OEM back in for no charge tells me he is an honest tech, and he said that everything was good on the front end and everything you mentioned must have been okay or he would have replaced them, not sure what's wrong but as of now the altima drives straight down the road as of this time, whereas before it was slightly drifting to the right when you let go of the wheel,, will let everyone know what we find out might a week or two before I can get my hands on it again to do some checking the mounts

Well that’s pretty awesome that shop is that transparent. Hard to find good ones anymore. Yes please keep us updated. Never know when this knowledge could help someone else