Electrical System FYI - ground system

Electrical issues?

Straight up folks here is the deal.

The Journey has a weak electrical system. Dodge made it that way.

Most Dodge dealerships don't know what to do with it either.

I have identified a weak point, that can be corrected very easily.

Drum roll please..........

Upgrade your electrical ground system.

Yes, that simple.

Read to the end.

A 12-volt automotive circuit consists of a power wire to the load (lights, motor etc.), and the ground wire. The ground wire is a return path to the negative battery terminal.

The negative battery cable connects to the ground stud located on the drivers strut tower. From the ground stud, a cable connects to the engine block.

From the engine block, wires, straps or cables ground to the chassis.

Inside the vehicle all electrical circuits are connected and grounded to the vehicle chassis. The metal chassis is the ground return path to the negative battery terminal.

Weak grounds that are corroded or loose. Will cause all kinds of strange electrical problems.

Cleaning all grounds first is important. To prevent misdiagnosing and replacing parts that are good.

This is why, we keep telling people check and clean your connections and grounds.

On the Journey the ground system needs a few upgrades to be considered reliable. Dodge cut costs on the electrical system battery cables. They used 4-gauge (AWG). Should have been 2-gauge (AWG). Better engine block to chassis grounds is needed.

So, my plan is to connect as many grounds as possible by cable to the negative battery terminal.

1) Battery ground stud to engine block ground stud. Adkd a 2 gauge Cable. Leave the stock ground cable alone.

2) Passenger engine mount. 4-gauge cable to passenger strut tower ground stud.

3) Passenger strut tower ground studs. Connect them together with wire or use a 2 " mending plate modified to fit.

4) Drivers strut tower. Connect the 2 smaller ground studs together. Then connect them to the large battery ground stud. Use wire or 2" mending plate modified to fit. 

The 2-gauge cable from the battery ground stud to the engine block stud. The starter and alternator ground through the engine block. 

This upgrade is very important to starting and charging of the vehicle. The engine block is an important part of the ground system.

Parts needed -2 gauge (AWG) cable black, 10 ft long with 3 /8" hole lug ends.

The 4-gauge cable ground from the passenger engine mount to the strut tower ground. Ties that side of the vehicle in to the ground system.

Parts needed -4 gauge (AWG) black, 3 ft long with 5 /16" lug ends.

Connecting the strut tower grounds together completes the direct connection to the battery negative terminal.

Parts needed- Wire or 2" mending plates. Drill out the holes until it fits.

An additional ground that takes some work,is to run a 4-gauge cable from the engine block stud into the interior.

Connecting to the bare metal of the Instrument panel frame.

I ran this ground cable right along with the transmission shifter cable into the vehicle.

The instrument panel frame has the grounds for 90% of the electronic modules on the Journey directly connected to it. These modules need the best direct ground possible. 

The HVAC module is one of them. This one needs the best ground possible.

Get these upgrades done first. Then see what is happening and proceed on to troubleshooting and testing components.

I have been running this basic ground upgrade for a year now.

When, I installed the ground to the instrument panel frame by the cabin air filter. My HVAC switched between defrost and floor outlets immediately. 

Studying the improvement of the HVAC turning on by itself. 

Photos are in the next post. 

Where to buy parts in another post.

Dean

Edited by Dean H

3.6 engine 

Stock grounds, driver's side.

IMG_20230901_2049422.thumb.jpg.580cd6776614f9c21b2bd3d3a39d2f3a.jpg

Engine block ground stud.

Under air intake tube.

Between large wire loom and vacuum pump. 

IMG_20240620_1420292.thumb.jpg.777d27bcb8ea0c4b2be5d54620dd48c2.jpg

Passenger side engine mount 

and strut tower grounds.

Run 4 gauge cable from points

in boxes.

IMG_20230905_2200573.thumb.jpg.8652017f950edb019fec0a4b425839c1.jpg

Photos 

Strut tower ground studs connected by mending bars.

Driver's side

IMG_20240805_135533.thumb.jpg.6d101d3620a7fd9ba54e006943094ea1.jpg

Passenger strut tower ground studs.

IMG_20240805_135642.thumb.jpg.287433e6f74f14b11af23b7284593682.jpg

2" mending bar

IMG_20240802_230952.thumb.jpg.5d8d30a80e26b5b9ebb7c634e9c047f4.jpg

Posted (edited)

Photos -

Ground cable to interior .

Connect to the engine ground stud. Run it along side the transmission shifter cable going into the interior.

Looking from the passenger side. That is the transmission shifter cable entering the vehicle.

IMG_20240228_1714392.thumb.jpg.b05ea28d1580b35f5f29dd298861c1d8.jpg

Passenger kick panel area ground. Easy access and connection.IMG_20240305_2112422.thumb.jpg.71116b0d48c34269961ab7ca1c9fe152.jpg

Go up to this ground next to the cabin air filter.

Secure with zip ties to stay

clear of HVAC wires.

IMG_20240805_1655462.thumb.jpg.19809392f8db5de4612990bdf2440161.jpg

Edited by Dean H

Posted (edited)

Correction regarding this statement -

When, I installed the ground to the instrument panel frame by the cabin air filter. My HVAC switched between defrost and floor outlets immediately. 

Before, I installed this ground.

My HVAC hesitated when

switching between defrost and floor outlets.

After the ground install, it switched outlets immediately.

Dean

Edited by Dean H

I have a 2011 Dodge Journey Crew, we are experiencing we believe to be electrical issues.  The battery light will come on then it will start doing weird thing:  Radio powered down, then while driving my light went out then a bunch of lights showed up on the dashboard (Battery, air bag, engine, traction, brake and ABS) then it started sputtering, the windshield wipers went off a couple times and then it shut down.  I jumped it and made it about 10 feet and it stopped going and just started revving like it was in neutral, sputtered and shut down again.  Any thoughts??  

Thank you

12 hours ago, Annette said:

I have a 2011 Dodge Journey Crew, we are experiencing we believe to be electrical issues.  The battery light will come on then it will start doing weird thing:  Radio powered down, then while driving my light went out then a bunch of lights showed up on the dashboard (Battery, air bag, engine, traction, brake and ABS) then it started sputtering, the windshield wipers went off a couple times and then it shut down.  I jumped it and made it about 10 feet and it stopped going and just started revving like it was in neutral, sputtered and shut down again.  Any thoughts??  

Thank you

This almost describes exactly what I had recently with my 2013.  And it was the alternator putting out high voltage .Scan the vehicle for codes and see what it says.There will be codes.

Read this thread and see

https://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/topic/18200-tipm-or-pcm/

Edited by yyz