Bad rear end?

I wasn’t sure where to post this but here we are. So I’m pretty sure my rear end is toast or about to be. My aunt bought the car in 2014. My mom bought it from her end of 2020. I wrecked it shortly after and it sat until Christmas of 2022. So, if I come to a stop, and I attempt to make a left or right hand turn, when I press the gas to do so, it clunks/ticks/thuds in the rear. Sometimes it’s light sometimes it’s really bad. It’s so bad sometimes that it literally feels and sounds like someone rear ended me. Sometimes it’s only a couple thuds and sometimes it’s at least 10+ it all depends on if I’m turning at 1mph or 5mph. I have resorted to a different style of driving so it doesn’t clunk. When I’m turning, if I let off the gas, and turn my wheel straight it won’t clunk anymore. But sometimes after doing that, when it goes to shift into the next gear, it will clunk once then. My dad thought once I had some like really delayed shifting issues and the clunking issue with the shifting, that it may be my transmission. Got that checked out, my fluid needed topped off but it wasn’t my transmission. He told me to check the rear diff fluid and my axel seals. Checked the fluid and it was either so low you couldn’t feel it with a finger, or was completely empty. My seal was so bad it literally fell off when the axel was taken out. I’ve heard that those typically go bad. However, it’s been doing this clunking thing since 2014 but now it is getting way worse. I’ve been told by a few people that it’s most likely my rear end since I didn’t have fluid in it… now my other question is, what years of Dodge Journeys are compatible for the rear end? I have a 2013 Dodge Journey AWD SXT 3.6L v6 

I don't have AWD but CV axles will clunk or make noise when turning as well,,there will be more qualified answers to come to you from here we have some good mechanics on here,,,but for your question on what yrs your local dealership parts dept will be the quickest and most dependable answer to that question..good luck 

How to: Replace viscous coupler ,,,,,,,, found in the forum  one person replaced his you need to read it..listed under engine and drivetrain section.......also check out YouTube for videos related to your problem..here is one...

Edited by 2late4u

An auto recycler can tell you what will fit. I’m pretty sure it was the same all years as long as you have the 3.6 v6 engine.

New parts will be wayyyy too expensive to fix the Journey with, people always go used. Just a used diff is probaby $400 not installed, the front ptu if it’s been neglected it’s may also need replacing, another $400 ish.

The rear diff awd is engages by a power plug that feeds the signal right into the diff, if you unplug it it will probably stop clunking almost immediately. Any mechanic  could do this 5 mins job. However long term you probably need the driveshaft that runs the awd removed as well. The rear diff needed to have oil in it to keep all the bearings lubricated. 

Switching car permanently  to two wheel drive might even be best option. So the rear c/v half shafts would likely be removed too.  Could sell off the removed parts for a few $’s. This way toasted diff can just stay where it is and do nothing with no oil in it.  Mechanics and tranny shops will be interested in making $3,000 to fix the awd…and not make $300 disabling and removing it. But people have disabled/removed awd on these vehicles before.  Probably with a permanent light on the dash afterwards.

Edited by John/Horace

1 hour ago, John/Horace said:

An auto recycler can tell you what will fit. I’m pretty sure it was the same all years as long as you have the 3.6 v6 engine.

New parts will be wayyyy too expensive to fix the Journey with, people always go used. Just a used diff is probaby $400 not installed, the front ptu if it’s been neglected it’s may also need replacing, another $400 ish.

The rear diff awd is engages by a power plug that feeds the signal right into the diff, if you unplug it it will probably stop clunking almost immediately. Any mechanic  could do this 5 mins job. However long term you probably need the driveshaft that runs the awd removed as well. The rear diff needed to have oil in it to keep all the bearings lubricated. 

Switching car permanently  to two wheel drive might even be best option. So the rear c/v half shafts would likely be removed too.  Could sell off the removed parts for a few $’s. This way toasted diff can just stay where it is and do nothing with no oil in it.  Mechanics and tranny shops will be interested in making $3,000 to fix the awd…and not make $300 disabling and removing it. But people have disabled/removed awd on these vehicles before.  Probably with a permanent light on the dash afterwards.

I found a 2015 Journey on my FB marketplace and he said he only wanted $100 for the rear diff. My stepdad isn’t a legit mechanic but he should be honestly. He told me he could fix it for me as long as I could find one. He told me it shouldn’t be anymore than like $200 at a junkyard if I could find one. This issue has been going on for quite some time and it’s been pretty bad since I started driving January of 2023. I’m sure the ‘front ptu’ as you said, probably needs replaced as well unfortunately. 

Thank you for explaining it to me. I’m one of those pretty clueless females and I think I have a good understanding to all of it now :)

9 hours ago, 2late4u said:

I don't have AWD but CV axles will clunk or make noise when turning as well,,there will be more qualified answers to come to you from here we have some good mechanics on here,,,but for your question on what yrs your local dealership parts dept will be the quickest and most dependable answer to that question..good luck 

My stepdad, dad, and my dad’s friend all checked out the ways to tell if it was the viscous coupler or cv axel. I don’t remember which one and they said it definitely wasn’t that. I had read the other article from years ago that you had responded to and I even replied to the thread lol. I’m very antisocial and I hate calling new places/people and talking on the phone. I tried calling the dealership earlier and I couldn’t bring myself to leave a voicemail so I will have to try again in the morning.