Propellor shaft to PTO unit

Driving vehicle home on acceleration hear a noise, assume it's rear end, sand in rims being the cause or missing weights on tire rim. Vehicle body (or tires) vibrate above 93 Km/HR. (Pavement is new in three layers).

The culprit is these bolts backed off or missing. A new kit is available. How would a vehicle do this (150 000 Km) anybody think of a cause. Will a new kit install solve this issue or is this tip of the iceberg ? PXL_20240827_010357236.thumb.jpg.458ee83c66e20f10217122517192b921.jpg Rear end inspection did not see anything wrong.

I don't have AWD but it looks like you have some leakage from the darker spots around the unit so even if you replace the bolts using some blue thread locker ,you might still be low of fluid of what ever kind... you mentioned sand in the wheel weights? there has been a lot of discussions on work being done on this unit klook under the forums for info

I have 3 AWD models and have not seen a situation like that. Unless someone has had the shaft out before for other work and not properly tightened those bolts. I suggest taking a close look at the middle carrier bearing and the flex coupler to the rear differential for possible causes.

Only concern would be damaged threads of the  PTO flange due to the originals loosening up and backing out.

Looks like one of side output shaft seals  is leaking. Dark stain on side of diff   like someone mentioned.  Make sure to check diff oil level, dump and fill and clean magnet every few years,is recommended.

Always use blue (semi permanent) loctite …threads locker on driveshaft bolts. Torque spec lower than you would think on this style coupling. Vibration can make bolts back off. Good thing you were paying attention and investigated. 

Okay so my replacement fasteners came in the other day. I removed all five remaining bolts using  a 3/8" stubby socket handle with socket and universal joint and some extensions. All were already loose. Threads were still good after replacement fasteners were installed. I have peered over the torque specs in Dodge Journey service manual online but have found none for these bolts. Request torque spec from anyone. I removed both front tires and both transmission seals are not leaking. When I checked the right inner tie rod boots it was wrapped over the inner tie rod several times and torn apart from the big band, inside there was dirt and steering fluid suspect this caused the leak. Drivers side inner tie rod boots was also torn apart the inner tie rod boots and inner tie rod socket and knuckle shaft were replaced. Will replace same for passenger side from Mopar parts. Fluid level looks good in steering fluid tank with nothing added for 10 000 Km.

Edited by Daniel Anderson

The hanger bearing mount bolts are listed at 40 ft/pds. I can’t find the front bolts spec on line anywhere, odd.

This sites search function not great; it was mentioned here a few years ago. Too bad no one has a Mitchel login subscription.

How about stopping by a dealer and see if they will be helpful.  Don’t want to wreck the new bolts.  I know blue semi permanent thread locker should be used. And I would check them after a week or so to confirm their not backing off. Kit came with no specs I guess.