Intake Manifold Runner Control Actuator

I just bought a 2019 Journey SE 2.4l. Billet Silver Matalic. 19in black viper rims. (Is what I call them) Really good looking car. When I first got it, I loved it. The family and I drove it from Memphis to Orlando for vacation this past June. I noticed that I wasn't getting the gas mileage I should be and it felt slow. I've had a chevy cavalier 2.4l and it was fast. But I blew it off thinking it was the five passengers and luggage. About 2 weeks after we got back, it wouldn't start. It would turn over for like 7 sec but never crank. I didn't have my odb2 scanner, so I guessed the battery and changed it. It ran for about 10 min then stalled out. After 10 min, it cranked with a dtc code. Read the code, crankshaft position sensor, changed it. Another week and I started noticing that it really felt sluggish in the low end. And I was barely getting 300 miles per rank. So I dove down the rabbit hole, reading live data, changing sensors, everything. Then finally, I notice my manifold air pressure would be fine until I drove it. I was actually losing pressure when I drove, it wouldn't work back to ambient. So some how or the other I end up watching a YouTube video on a Google search about losing pressure and learn about the intake manifold runner control(imrc). So I go out to my Journey to check it. I pop the hood and there is no imrc! It's not throwing any codes and I get a n/a reading on live data on my scanner. I immediately call my local dodge dealership, thinking there might be an option to not have the imrc, but was told I absolutely need it. So it seems like someone locked my imrc closed and bypassed the electrical so it wouldnt read or throw a code. Cause i studied the powertrain wiring harness and mine is missing a connector. Thats the only thing i can think of. So I called the dealership I bought it from and told them the whole story. He got the guy from dodges info and said he would call and get the part number and they would take care of it. But he hasn't answered in the last 24 hrs. I talked to dodge again and they said they did talk to them and give them the info. It's nuts to think that if I were most anyone else, they'd never know about it and slowly kill the car.

20240612_211831.jpg

I believe you as saying you dove down the rabbit hole! The 2.4 motor for 2019 does NOT use the IMRC system, the 2009 does use this system!   You have other problems causing your concern. How many miles on the car and other than what you posted of parts "shotgunned" to it has been done? FWIW, mant aftermarket sensors do NOT play nice with these motors , stay with O.E. 

welcome to the group,,that said sorry to hear of this problem and sounds like you have a good bit of knowledge of what to check to find this out with no codes,,,have you checked the wire harness where it would be connected for the 2 wires that would have been cut off or rewired?hopefully dodge will respond back quickly on your problem and please report back on what you find out to be your solution,,for others that might ever have this problem,as I watch a couple of videos on it I have the 3.6 but my daughter had the 2.4 in her patriot as her mail vehicle and it was a real good workhorse eng for her,,only use the OEM plugs ( only about $15-20) for it tho and change them out every 30 k and no other problems till she got rid of it except having all the wheel hubs replaced as wheel

Edited by 2late4u

3 minutes ago, 5rebel9 said:

I believe you as saying you dove down the rabbit hole! The 2.4 motor for 2019 does NOT use the IMRC system, the 2009 does use this system!   You have other problems causing your concern. How many miles on the car and other than what you posted of parts "shotgunned" to it has been done? FWIW, mant aftermarket sensors do NOT play nice with these motors , stay with O.E. 

guess that is why I didn't see a video on the 2.4 did see one on the 3.5 2010 tho and I agree on NOT using most aftermarket parts off amazon and most part stores for the same reason yes cheaper but as you said most don't work as good or last as long as OEM.

1 hour ago, 5rebel9 said:

Where did you find that it doesn't use an imrc? Everywhere I look, it says from 2009 to 2019, they all have variable valves and can't go without it. I went and looked at other 2019's and they all have them. Same as caravan and the older 

Where did you find  this info. Everywhere I've looked says from 2009 to 2019 they have dual variable valves and can't go without an imrc. I've looked at other 2019's and they have it. Same with caravan and caliper.

I would suggest posting a picture of your engine showing your intake manifold without the pop on engine cover. A 2019 is pretty new to most of us here, and I have a feeling you MAY have the "newest version" with so called dual air injection.

2.4 IMRC was only used for first gen 08-10 dodge products,  

I would suggest posting a picture of your engine showing your intake manifold without the pop on engine cover. A 2019 is pretty new to most of us here, and I have a feeling you MAY have the "newest version" with so called dual air injection.

2.4 IMRC was only used for first gen 08-10 dodge products,  

So the haynes manual shows it having the imrc. I have the ed3 engine, which is the 2.4l dohc vvt. See pic. You might have to zoom in.

Screenshot_20240827_081334_Drive.jpg

35 minutes ago, larryl said:

There must have been some modifications to the vehicle?

Somebody put 19" wheels on a 4cyl. Journey? Don't think that was an option

19 inch wheels are an option.

Every video I've seen of every car that has this motor has the runner control valve on it. On such a new car, why would they have a mount for the actuator on the manifold. Wouldn't they just delete the mount if it wasn't needed? Cause I've never seen one without the mount. 

Interesting stuff.  Here are pics of the oem part. Emissions parts have the longest warranty, Cali up to 8 years, same up north here. They need to explain the missing part…and supply needed items. It’s a 5 pin plug on the harness. RockA shows all 2012 forward having the part. The newer 2.4 tiger shark (which is crap and consumes oil like crazy) never made it to the Journey thank god. Even the newer 3.6 from 2016 on wards with better fuel effic and more power never made it to the Journey.  The newer 2.4 multi air tiger shark etc had way more power than the std Journey 2.4, but lots of issues.75AD1841-BBEF-4105-A24D-F821DF1125BF.thumb.jpeg.04fcfd268ffdf3e1e2c9718353fbc59c.jpeg643633D3-B34F-4A1F-AECB-1F337CCC1F9B.thumb.jpeg.a2bacdb456dbeeec8a4fb900c21dc6ff.jpeg297E7584-ED27-4BDA-8B79-C41BBBE401C1.thumb.jpeg.0899038d85e9b114b0b8bba2f487a333.jpeg

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/mopar,4884549AD,intake+manifold+runner+control+valve+/+solenoid,10776

Edited by John/Horace

FUNNY your rockauto link shows Dodge products only using that part from 2007-2013. AND SPECIFICALLY JOURNEY  2009-20010.

I had looked up part for his 2019 Journey on rockauto and they had NO LISTING for the part.

I used daughter in laws 2012 as the look up reference and it listed the shown intake flow runner and I assumed it was same up to 2019.

Looking it up now, you are correct it’s not listed at all for 2019. Good catch. The 2012 I occasionally work on is 4 hrs away. Makes me wonder if it is even on that car. Will have to take a look.

RockA doesn’t make cars but they are the most accurate parts site I’ve ever come across.  I doubt they are wrong, dealer would  know for sure. 

Picture from engine like you asked would have been nice. 

10 hours ago, John/Horace said:

I used daughter in laws 2012 as the look up reference and it listed the shown intake flow runner and I assumed it was same up to 2019.

Looking it up now, you are correct it’s not listed at all for 2019. Good catch. The 2012 I occasionally work on is 4 hrs away. Makes me wonder if it is even on that car. Will have to take a look.

RockA doesn’t make cars but they are the most accurate parts site I’ve ever come across.  I doubt they are wrong, dealer would  know for sure. 

Picture from engine like you asked would have been nice. 

20240828_090448.jpg

20240828_090507.jpg

YES the good old 2.4, I've been looking for ANY info that states an IMRC for your year and find NONE.

By your pic, I cringe when I see these supposed "cold air intake systems. They all are WRONG for hook up  of the PCV BREATHER HOSE. They have you mount the hose in the high velocity intake air{which is suction flow INTO the engine} and not as OE air cleaner assy. which is a seperate LOW velocity section of the OE air filter box.

Thanks for posting the pic's and keep us informed IF you find more info of your concern.

Edited by 5rebel9

The  slightly under powered but reliable 2.4, nice clear pics.  Same 2.4  I have worked on a bit.  Another possible issue with  the K&N air filter is over oiling with the spray on oil.  Nice to reduce land fill but the oil can carry down stream on to sensors …I have heard.  Have used the drop in square units on a few Jeeps. 

. Mopar Canada which you would think should be a good info source shows the part in question fitting up to 2017 model year.
It also says it’s a discontinued part,  there is second listed part ending in AD and Motorcitychysler online site says fits 2009-10 not other years. 

Actuator - Mopar (04884549AD)

Genuine OEM Mopar Parts & Accessories - 4884549ad

• Actuator - Mopar (04884549AD)

Actuator - Mopar (04884549AD)

Discontinued Product

No Longer Available For Purchase

Manufacturer WarrantyMinimum of 24 Months 

Guaranteed FitmentAlways the correct parts 

Shop with ConfidenceYour information is safe 

In-House ExpertsWe know our products 
image.png.0521f5980328dfd7adcd627f474a59cd.png
Edited by John/Horace

Ya know, maybe why I can't find anything is because I'm looking at USA sites.... You Canadians always seem to get things "tacked onto" your cars that we don't get!

I agree that possible over oiling the air filter could be a problem area, but I also stand on my post. My son had an 04 Neon with short ram air intake mod, I put a small breather filter to the port on the Valve cover...It did not suck oil and sludge up the intake after that. Just think of the location of the throttle body in comparison to that hose for sucking in additional oil into the intake. That breather hose is to equalize air in the engine for the PCV to function. In effect you have 2 PCV suction lines the way these kits are "set up".

It’s always California emissions spec north of border, all brands Toyota etc., federal gov mandate. Maybe helping saving the planet…definitely not your wallet. Harder to trouble shoot even with codes.

Extra 2.4 breather is ok but only one has a real check valve on it, is flow going to stay in the right direction. Often  a nicer sound than stock set up, maybe 0.99 ish horse power.  It’s long term effect on engine reliability that makes me wonder. 
But then it’s hard to kill this design 2.4 engine anyway.

I’m not sure MoparCanada  site is correct. I think your 2009-10 only idea is probably accurate for both sides of border.

Will check the 2012 Canada spec unit next time I see it, post up findings on the site. 

Yes it is possible from what I've read about over toiling K-N air filters but I have run the same filter on my 2011 for 70k and then took it out and installed in my 2014 and have 163 k on it with no problems of course proper cleaning and recoiling as well,,KIND of like anything if done right  there is usually no problems..I even bought the K-N cabin air filter as well has saved me a ton there as I clean it out every 6 months or so.....at the time it was around $35, and at $10 a pop for a cabin filter I have saved well $200 over the yrs not counting the air filter for the eng

This is a decent site, even lists the ED3 type engine which the OP said his 2019 was. Intake manifold flow runner part only fits 2009-10 Journey 2.4 like 5rebel9 said.  Not other years.

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-actuator-flow-control-valve~4884549ad.html?vin=&make=Dodge&model=Journey&year=2009&submodel=&extra1=&extra2=&filter=()

just seen this video on you tube kind of explains what could be the problem on a dodge patriot, just thought id post it for us that are trying to follow the problem.....

WELLLLL, The OP's main concern was that there is not an IMRC actuator or wiring plug for it on his ride, and he thinks there should be. All found info sources say NO on a 2019 model DJ.

Well documented that the 4 cyl DJ's are no speed demons even when running correctly!

I do question the validity of no codes claim as this year DJ has a security gateway module that blocks a lot of code retrieval scanners from getting higher level codes {just basic ones}, my shop owner friend is on hold to getting costly software updates for his scanners to deal with these 2017 and newer v Stellantis company "Dodge" products and having to pay Dodge dealer to run scans for him...at a reduced cost for him. As all have heard about the possible demise of the true Dodge brand.

34 minutes ago, 5rebel9 said:

WELLLLL, The OP's main concern was that there is not an IMRC actuator or wiring plug for it on his ride, and he thinks there should be. All found info sources say NO on a 2019 model DJ.

Well documented that the 4 cyl DJ's are no speed demons even when running correctly!

I do question the validity of no codes claim as this year DJ has a security gateway module that blocks a lot of code retrieval scanners from getting higher level codes {just basic ones}, my shop owner friend is on hold to getting costly software updates for his scanners to deal with these 2017 and newer v Stellantis company "Dodge" products and having to pay Dodge dealer to run scans for him...at a reduced cost for him. As all have heard about the possible demise of the true Dodge brand.

cars are getting to damn complicated nowadays and also have to parts assigned to the vin to work..sigh I do miss some of the old day traditions

4 hours ago, 5rebel9 said:

I wonder how hard it would be to reflash the pcm to recognize an imrc valve? I've been through the drive train wiring harness, and the bundle of the harness that powers the valve IS there.  I believe it's just grounded to itself, cause it deletes to a washer clamp and is bolted to the trans. The bolt doesn't do anything but ground to the trans, not a mounting bolt or anything. I took the bolt out and ungrounded the bundle and nothing changes. Everything on my data stream looks normal, besides the original not coming back to ambient pressure. The more I think about the engineering, the more it pisses me off. Everything I've seen and read talk about how good the imrc is and how crucial it is to a dual valve intake, UNTIL it gets stuck open or closed. And if it does stick open or closed, it destroys your engine part by part. Soooo, you don't re-engineer the manifold to compensate for that, they just yank the runners off and plug the actuator hole leaving the mount, and cut the electrical connector off and ground a 5 wire bundle to the trans, cause we don't need to re-engineer that either. If the runners aren't there, isn't that just like it being stuck open?!?

I don't go for changing control modules for engine performance, so I can't offer you any advice to you on that. BUT I do know {as was previously posted} that those equipped with manifold vanes{IMRC} were VERY TROUBLESOME. 

Is your DJ "up and running" or are you actually having a drivability issue?

I think it is time to "climb out of the rabbit hole" of the IMRC system yours does not have.