Journey not responding to AlfaOBD

Any one else have issues with this ? 

I use a OBXlink (if I remember correctly) to connect my newer mopars to alfaOBD on my phone 

It work fine with my plow truck ('17 2500) and my wife grocery getter ('15 pursuit charger) but I can't get the family hauler to connect ('18 journey) 

Am I overlooking something? 

I don't have anything that new, but have AlfaOBD and same remote dongle. No problems with it. BUT I tried to help my shop friend on a '17 Journey and could not get it to work right. Turns out there is a security gateway module in the newer passenger cars that messes things up, at least what was relayed to me from my friend who got the word from a Dodge Dealer tech friend of his.

• 2 weeks later...

A SGM bypass cable did the trick 

I now have fogs with brights, global down windows, and I can make changes to the navigation on the fly 

(Im sure ill think of a few more tricks later...i wonder if i can install the performance pages?)

For some reason they call it a 12+8 cable 

10 bucks on fleabay  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364577184130

20241002_230533.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Cool you figured it out, very useful for people on this site. Are the 12 and 8 cables jointed together on harness and you just T in. Or are they plugged into modules, just curious. 

Can you just add remote start option now if the hood switch is there and remotes have the capability? Might be rf modules, antenna wires etc that have to be there too. 
My wife’s Journey already has it, nice option at times.

There are posts on this site from a guy who added this option and others to a base model Journey. Crazy wire harness work involved. Think he was retired.

9 hours ago, John/Horace said:

Cool you figured it out, very useful for people on this site. Are the 12 and 8 cables jointed together on harness and you just T in. Or are they plugged into modules, just curious. 

Can you just add remote start option now if the hood switch is there and remotes have the capability? Might be rf modules, antenna wires etc that have to be there too. 
My wife’s Journey already has it, nice option at times.

There are posts on this site from a guy who added this option and others to a base model Journey. Crazy wire harness work involved. Think he was retired.

So the 12+8 adapter plugs I'm where the SGM is, unplug two plugs from that and plug the adapter in 

You then use the adapter as the OBD port 

As far ad adding remote start, you need next to nothing 

Think about it, you allready have remote door locks, and you allready have a button that starts the car 

All the hardware is there 

(On my truck, I even had the contacts for the remote start in the keyfob, I just needed a new inlay to use it) 

So if your Journey is just like my truck, you simply need to turn "remote start" and "hood latch" to present 

You then put a 500 ohm resistor in pin 12 of the BCM, (this is the pin on both my truck and my wifes charger, so dollars to donuts it is the same pin on your journey) tricking the car unto thinking there is a hood latch sensor, and it is closed and now your car is ready for remote start 

I dont believe the push start key fobs have the hardware for remote start build in, so you will need to buy a new fob with the remote start button and program it to your car