Greetings from Calgary, Alberta

Kulstad

Hello, everyone!

I just bought my first ever Dodge vehicle: 2014 Dodge Journey R/T.  This is quite the step up from the vehicle I'm coming from (2006 Chevy Colorado), and a lot of this car is somewhat overwhelming but kind of exciting at the same time.  Aside from the "first steps" after buying a used vehicle (ie: new battery, air filters, oil change, etc), is there anything I should be aware of?

My first two direct questions are:

1. it's equipped with UConnect Phone (I think that's what it's called.  I only have access to Phone, AM/FM/Sirius, and CD).
    1. how do I tell if the software needs to be updated?
    2. the UConnect site tells me my VIN cannot be recognized, even though every other site that uses the VIN had never had an issue.  According to the VIN, the vehicle was made in Mexico
    3. can the head unit be software-updated to include navigation, or does that require a whole new system?
  2. My rear-view mirror look identical to the one in the standard Owner's Manual, however:
    1. manually repositioning it is incredibly difficult, to the point where I'm actually afraid I will pull it off the windshield
    2. I saw no "mirror identification" diagrams in the owner's manual.  Would it be correct to assume that the 2 bumps on either side of the top of the mirror are the microphones for the voice commands/telephone?

I'm here to learn as much about my vehicle as I can.  I'll be the first to admit I'm automotively challenged, so please be gentle with me.

Welcome to the site.

My 2014 has not been updated since I got it in 2014. Not great but works ok with android for Bluetooth stuff, worse with Apple. Works better with cable than Bluetooth. Can stream music through it and answer calls.  Nav is not an add on app, you need a different unit with bigger processor etc. Buy a phone with bigger screen and use that instead, uconnect not that great really. Upgrades not plug and play.

There are newer China android based systems that people have installed. Keeping heating steering wheel, seats and hvac controls that are in dash display are the big concern.

Microphone is in mirror, try lubricating pivot joint of mirror with clear silicone spray, might free up a bit.

Go over all your fluids for the awd, front ptu unit, rear differential, make sure transmission fluid also critical item has been changed. Fixing leaks before running something low is the preferred maint method.

How big is the screen on the radio? 

Several of the mopar radios can be upgraded with "dealer codes" 

There is a program called alfaOBD that allows you to connect to the car (after plugging something into the OBDII port) and make changes to the car 

If the hardware is there, but the switch is in the off position, you can use this program to turn it on 

I used it to enable remote start on my '17 2500 and turn on the performance pages on my wife's grocery getter ('15 pursuit charger) 

Welcome! 

What engine do you have 2.4

4 cyl or 3.6 6 cyl? 

Maintenance items:

1) cabin filter behind glove box. 

2) correct transmission fluid and filter service. 

****HIGH PRIORITY*****

https://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/topic/18151-automatic-transmission-fyi-please-read/

3) AC evaporator drain clean out. https://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/topic/17985-easy-ac-drain-clean/

4) Electrical system. Getting to know it and understand it. Before the issues begin.

https://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/topic/18210-electrical-system-fyi-battery/

https://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/topic/18374-electrical-system-fyi-ground-system/