abs/traction control/brake lights

well it has been a long time almost 2 yrs waiting on the ABS module to come in at the dealership has been on backorder of so i was told and didn't bug them about...LOL...codeC2200-49 ABS Module has detected an internal electronic error   they told me when I first had the lights came on the ABS unit already on backorder due to covid but I really didn't hound them during my timeline since I could drive the journey just didn't have cruise control or the anti skid version of braking,, but 2 months ago I stopped by there and ended up talking to the service manger and he looked puzzled about my story so he checked the code and said yep the abs unit needs to  replaced ,but I didn't ask but I believe I had got dropped out of the system a long time ago,anyways he said well your abs unit is over in atlanta parts depot waiting to be unloaded on the 24 of the month (August) and this was the beginning of the month, so I said great well one month goes by and no phone call so I called him and he said well the trailer still hasn't been unloaded yet but it would be on the 24 of sept and this was at the beginning of Sept as well, and he said don't worry your name and order number is on that unit and you will get it,so he called me yesterday and said we have the unit and to bring your journey in next thursday for the install..whoo hoo I just hope it really does fix the problem and also this service cost will be covered under my Mopar max warranty so only a $100 ded.. HMM I wondering how much it would cost without the warranty, I'll check on that and report back next week,, so far the moral of the story is don't be a easy going customer keeping bugging them so you don't get lost in the wind I guess

7 minutes ago, yyz said:

A month to unload a trailer? I think they were feeding you a line.  Hope it fixes your problem, that's disgraceful  to have a part back ordered for that long.

I have been checking online part stores like rock auto and they all say on backordered I do believe stellantis is trying to run dodge /Chelsea broke they have discontinued almost all the cars and such I seen where they are just now bringing the voyager van back for 2025 starts out at 40k hell Chrysler invented the min van and then killed it off and the journey kind of took over for the low cost family SUV and then killed it off and the Pacifica never really took off as well..Sad to see trucks and jeeps is what they really want to build and they have almost ruined the Jeep brand in my mind

• 2 weeks later...

dropped the journey off wen nite and they checked it out Thursday as I also told them about what I thought was a power steering whine slight but worse when cold that goes a way after a few minutes and they called me back Thur afternoon and said I had a serpentine belt adjuster going bad and had to have it shipped from Atlanta but the journey should be ready Fri afternoon ,well friday morning he calls and said also the crankshaft seal is leaking oil and that was the noise of the oil getting on whatever,so long story short I wont get my journey back till Monday as he said if he just replaced the belt adj  under my warranty $100 ded along with the ABS modular and then when he could do the seal another $100 ded so that is why he is waiting on all the parts to come in which they did Fri afternoon but not soon enough to to get it all done till Monday for just one $100 ded, so guess he is looking out for me  to only have to pay just the one ded I also told him to replace the belt since I have 164 k on it,he said no problem so I'll get it on that in real money. I'll refresh this after I pick it up Monday barring any other complications...oh by the way I always keep a close eye on my oil level and it must have just started leaking a small amount as I keep the eng compartment so clean you can eat off it and I also had just changed the oil and filter couple of days ago around 5600 miles on the oil and and it was right up to the full mark as well... I need to find out what all this would have cost just to see if I am hitting the breakeven point on my Mopar warranty...LOL I think I will be saving money so far.....one oil sending unit at 45 k with a free car rental $100 ded , a rear camera replacement yrs ago a $100 ded ,an oil cooler replacement about 6 months ago $100 ded, and now an ABS electrical module and the crankshaft seal and the belt tensioner  and should be $100 ded this time as well........ No  free car rental this time tho.....so 400 in ded plus the insurance cost of $2100 if I remember right..so out of pocket $2500  who wants to guess if I am saving money or still below the $2500 with parts and labor

I'm guessing that you are ahead of the game.It doesn't take long now with parts and labour. But I'm guessing you bought the warranty in 2014? Is there a time limit to it ?

12 hours ago, yyz said:

I'm guessing that you are ahead of the game.It doesn't take long now with parts and labour. But I'm guessing you bought the warranty in 2014? Is there a time limit to it ?

it is the Mopar unlimited lifetime / unlimited miles  with $100 ded and it actually has a clause if the repair cost more than the car is worth that is what they will pay and then the contract will end,and yes I bought it online thru Zeigler auto group up in Michigan not to long after I bought my journey here in Alabama..I believe they quit selling this warranty in 2017 or 2018

2 hours ago, larryl said:

The contract buyouts are starting to happen more frequently now

Jeep people are finding out............

thoes are the ones that bought with the lifetime  when dodge was going broke I think it was in 2009 and also they haven't had it serviced every so often and checked out at certain mileage and yrs time,,, back 2 yrs ago dodge did send me a letter wanting me to buy a new vehicle and they would give me 2 k down on it if I would sell back my warranty I actually sent the email back saying make it 12k and maybe but never heard back from them..also I have had all my service work done at the dealership except for brakes and oil changes

Weii I got my journey out of the dealership and only cost me $131. 100 for the ded and $28 plus tax for the new serpentine  belt,, they didn't give me a breakdown of the cost but the replaced the crankshaft seal,the belt adjuster tensioner,and also the ABS module did have to wait an extra day he said for the corporate approval of the charges since the total cost came to $1300 and anything over $1000 they have to get their approval which is weird as they had all ready done all the work which doesn't sound right but what the heck...so I am feeling I am ahead on the cost of the warranty cost by about 5-700   I had oil sending unit go bad that was around 500 that included a car rental since I was out of town plus a rear camera inop that was around 300 and oil cooler replaced around 700-1000 I would assume and now 1300 on the abs and other stuff,,,the crankshaft seal is in a really cramped spot guess they went thur the wheel well along with the belt tensioner and new belt also the ABS unit is right there on that side as well...I am just happy not to have the lights on and the cruise control working, I asked if I could have the old ABS unit to tear apart but he said they had to keep it but then asked me why, and I said I had read up on most of the failures on these units were due to the small surface mount electrical parts partial or not being soldered completely, and I do know that could very well be true, as I worked at the Chrysler electronic plant in Huntsville Al and they sometimes would kick out on the testers if some of the parts were not soldered correctly, we never made the ABS units but did most of the the other electronic parts

I checked on the internet and the ABS module runs around $428 if in stock,belt tensioner around $313 Mopar,and crankshaft seal $20 and there belt was $28 from the dealership parts office with my discount of 25% off if they gave it to me..so around 789 in parts plus  tax he said $ 1300 total minus my $100 ded so around $411 for labor witch seems cheap on the labor cost but since I don't know actually cost of the parts and what is involved with the time to install all this, but at $150 hr labor charge that would be about 2.5 hr in labor.... that belt tensioner seemed high but that is a Mopar price of 

Belt Tensioner - Mopar (5184617AD)

2011-2024 Mopar - 5184617ad

5.0 star rating1 Review

• MSRP:$468.00
  • Discount:$159.42 (34.1% off)
  • Sale Price:$308.58

Anti-Lock Brake System Module - Mopar (68194693AF)

2012-2017 Dodge Journey - 68194693af

• MSRP:$531.00
  • Discount:$182.30 (34.3% off)
  • Sale Price:$348.70

found the ABS module a bit cheaper ( $100 less )  at Moparfactoryparts.com

Sorry for the late response and my quietness on the site. Yes you are ahead on expenses having that lifetime warranty from a new vehicle. I can't afford even back ib the 2010's to have bought a NEW vehicle, much less an additional "warranty". Other than your aggravation on waiting for back ordered parts, but NOT having to get your hands dirty doing maint. repairs yourself is good for most people. 

BUT with 3 of these and my Buick and another Buick of my parents to maintain as cost effectively as possible, the lack of dealerships even to 40 miles away is out of the picture for me to be able to do as you have with your Journey. Happy for you that it's working out well for you. I will continue to do as much work repairs/maint as I can do, and when too involved my independant shop friend will get that work. Other than waiting to get it in the shop sometimes, I can't complain one bit about him. And between rockauto and other sources my parts costs are still VERY REASONABLE.

they put the ABS in an awkward position on the passenger side by the firewall, I had been tinkering with the idea of finding one at a junk yard but to old to try to work ion that position as well,most vehicles its toward the front of the engine bay..oh well ,,,,yes you have your hands full with all the vehicles you are taking care of ,,I am so GLAD that the post office my daughter works out of, about 2 yrs ago they started providing them with vehicles to use instead of them providing their own, of course she took a hit on her paycheck but it sure took a load off my shoulders trying to keep up with her repairs...LOL

Junk yard unit might already be messed up, can’t really test it. Bleeding air out of abs is best done with a plug in scanner that can pulse the pump while bleeding so all air comes out. Need crowfoot wrenches on tight brake line connections. Lots of reasons it was better to wait out the warranty guys to do it.

Living near enough to a decent dealership is the key to these warranty’s. And keeping car a very long time; people get bored and flip vehicles. 
Had a friend with an awd Safari van with very expensive dealer extended warranty. Said to me a week before it expired, I wasted my money, never had any big issues. Next day the awd transfer case locked up on the way to work. That one repair exceeded his warranty cost by over a grand.
Aftermarket warranties however, usually have a lot of weasel clauses and I would stay away.

A lot of shops the licensed mechanic signs safety’s. Gets involved with trouble shooting, but turns a wrench very little. Majority of work is just random tecs. Bothers me paying mechanics rate for non mechanic repairs. But that ship has sailed.

Older cars are only really affordable if you can do a chunk of the work your self.  As long as I’m physically fit enough and I have driveway space to work…I’ll continue fixing stuff. Don’t have a lot of local small shops anymore that I could go to.  Even many wrecking yards have disappeared.