P0128 randomly came up

2017 Dodge Journey GT AWD 3.6L 110k Miles

A couple days ago I was on my way home from my in law's house and while driving the Engine light came on. I was right about in the middle of my 25 minute drive, engine warmed up and running fine. I pulled the code when I got home. It was pending and so I left it to see if it would go back off but it has not. The temperature gauge is going to the normal range, the heat appears to work fine, and nothing else seems obviously wrong. I've been reading that there are several things that CAN cause this code, not most of the time it's the thermostat. I don't want to take guesses at it and start replacing random parts, so I figured the experts here could give me an idea based on their experiences. It was in the 40s I think at the time it came on, and being October here in Michigan it's getting colder now. I can't stand NOT having remote start 🥶

Sometimes the thermostat opens and the car doesn't warm up to proper temp.

Mine has done it a few times but I just clear the code I don't mind it running a little cool and the remote start will work

Edited by larryl

1 hour ago, larryl said:

Sometimes the thermostat opens and the car doesn't warm up to proper temp.

Mine has done it a few times but I just clear the code I don't mind it running a little cool and the remote start will work

I was thinking it might be a fluke. The coolant is at the bottom of the COLD range, so it is a little low but probably not enough to trip the sensor. Also, the fan DOES switch on and off with MAX A/C on, so that's working properly. I watched it warm up leaving work today and within 3 minutes it was at 110 and after about 15 minutes of driving it was around 210-215.

I think I may just clear the code and see if it comes back.