P000D P0018 P0175 P0300 - check your oil first

DodgeaWrench

Driving first thing this morning, after about a mile, I feel a slight missing occurring.  For another mile, I wasn't sure if it was road bumps or engine.  Then it got worse...  No doubt... The engine was missing / running rough, and continued to get worse.  The check engine light started flashing.  The engine stalled when I came to a red light, but restarted.  Stalled again turning into a parking lot, but again restarted.  I stopped to read the codes ( I carry an ODBII reader), restarted, turned around, and said a prayer to hope to get home without a tow.  The car is now in limp mode and I cant exceed 25mph.  I slowly and safely make it the few miles home.  On parking the car, the exhaust smelled (fuel) rich.

CODES:

P000D - Camshaft Position Slow Response Bank 2

P0018 - Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation Bank 2 Sensor A

P0175 - System Too Rich Bank 2

P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

I spent time with my friend, YouTube, researching how the check, test, and evaluate, this series of codes.

To cut to the chase, at least one of the videos had a checklist with CHECK THE OIL LEVEL / OIL QUALITY at the top of the list, and to start with an oil change.

I checked the level and I was over a quart low.  I was due anyway for a change, so I changed the oil / filter, and crossed my fingers.  On measuring the oil drained, I was down almost 2 quarts.

WTF!  Putting the car onto the ramps before the change, it continued to run like 💩.  After the change, smooooooooth.  I then reset the codes and check engine light went off.  Took it for a several mile spin, and no issues, no codes, no check engine.  I'm in disbelief and still can't accept that a low oil level would create this type of issue.

I've got places to go (drive) tomorrow and will be a good confirmation of the repair.  I'll report back.

Anyone experience similar?

2014 DJ 3.6 FWD

176674 miles

7k miles since previous oil change

6 quarts and filter used on this change

Regardless of successful repair or not, the next question is what happened to the oil?  There are no leaks.

I definitely will be checking the oil level more regularly now.

IMG_3588[1].jpg

IMG_3589[1].jpg

IMG_3590[1].jpg

IMG_3591[1].jpg

A cars fluids is something you should check regularly. 

The more often you do. The more problems you will prevent or catch before it gets expensive to fix. 

The 3.6 is a highly complex engine internally. With it's wide engine RPM band. 

Your going to use oil. The harder you drive it even more so.

With the 3.6 you should be checking the engine fluids once a week.

It has a maze of heater hoses to watch as well.

The 3.6 liter (219.7 CID) flexible fuel V-6 engine features Variable Valve Timing (VVT), Dual Overhead Camshafts (DOHC) and a high-pressure die-cast aluminum cylinder block with steel liners in a 60° configuration. The 3.6 liter engine has a chain driven variable discharge oil pump with a two-stage pressure regulator for improved fuel economy. The exhaust manifolds are integrated into the cylinder heads for reduced weight. 

This a view of the complex timing chain on the 3.6.

IMG_20241017_2112593.thumb.jpg.5cf34a8b003106192dd2cf9c1fe124f0.jpg

This a cylinder head with the valve cover removed. The 3.6 has 2 cylinder heads.

IMG_20240812_1833392.thumb.jpg.0ddb13b7f48c6bcf56c9bf130c324a4f.jpg

Picture the engine spinning up to 5-6,000 RPM's.

You got damn lucky in my opinion.