Clunking when put into reverse

kmac171

Our 2010 DJ SXT does the HUGE clunk from reverse to drive, a loud clunk going into reverse and Drive as well. I wonder since the 09s had a lot of problems if our 2010 will already have the flash that everyone seams to have had to their DJ. If not I think Monday we will bring her into the dealership to get the flash done, but from our experience with our dealership this will say there isn't a flash, it should have it blah blah blah.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone, first post here

Does anyone have solved this problem? My 2009 SXT is doing this annoying clunk. I have noticed that when I climb a hill in reverse, and then change from R to D, it makes the clunk. I thought it could be a lash in the transmission or the differential. Because when I make a reverse on a flat surface, and then change from R to D, the clunk doesnt happen.

The same clunk happens when I go to manual and reduce two or three gears, as the RPM goes up, and the motor brakes the car, there is a noisy clunk

I'll be glad if someone can help me.

Thanks

i have a '14 R/T with 4k on it now and it shifts hard from 2nd to 3rd and clunks in reverse.. Happened since day 1. I've given up with the gripping and lived with it.. the stealership cannot find the problem.. Actually I know what my problem is, I should've stayed with a German vehicle... There is absolutely no comparison.

i have a '14 R/T with 4k on it now and it shifts hard from 2nd to 3rd and clunks in reverse.. Happened since day 1. I've given up with the gripping and lived with it.. the stealership cannot find the problem.. Actually I know what my problem is, I should've stayed with a German vehicle... There is absolutely no comparison.

Funny, I know many that have left their German vehicles for Asian cars because of the same frustration as yours.

Funny, I know many that have left their German vehicles for Asian cars because of the same frustration as yours.

Yeah, everyone I know with Audi's and VW's are leaving them for different brands... Can't speak to Porsche and BMW, but my old man works for Mercedes and they have similar issues as well...

• Official Dodge Support

jugghead,

Sorry to hear you're having shifting issues.

Has your dealer been able to identify any flash updates to address the clunks?

I would suggest taking another '14 out for a test drive to see if this is a characteristic of the vehicle.

jugghead,

Sorry to hear you're having shifting issues.

Has your dealer been able to identify any flash updates to address the clunks?

I would suggest taking another '14 out for a test drive to see if this is a characteristic of the vehicle.

I have a 2014 3.6 AWD and it shifts very nicely... Don't think it is a characteristic of the vehicle.

I have a 2014 3.6 AWD and it shifts very nicely... Don't think it is a characteristic of the vehicle.

Give it time, it will happen as the miles add up. 5 pages worth of comments and personal experience tells me it is a problem.

Give it time, it will happen as the miles add up. 5 pages worth of comments and personal experience tells me it is a problem.

Not necessarily. I have 40,000 kms and I don't have this problem.

I had this problem since day 1...and clunky shifts when accelerating moderately. Had the TSB done about a year ago where they reprogram the transmission software and it took care of the problem for about 6-9 months. But now it's back to the original problem. I wonder if the TSB re-program degrades over time? Would it be worthwhile to try to get the TSB done again to re-program it again?

Also wondering if doing a transmission flush with some better fluid would help out? I figure I'm getting kind of close to needing to change out the fluid anyway (I think the manual says 80k miles for transmission flush?)...I'm at 60k miles now.

• Official Dodge Support

Nobody could resolve it? And DodgeCAcares the flash update is available for the 2009 too?

otavio14,

I wasn't able to identify this particular flash for the 2009 model, however a quick chat with your service dept. would be appropriate to determine the availability.

• Official Dodge Support

I had this problem since day 1...and clunky shifts when accelerating moderately. Had the TSB done about a year ago where they reprogram the transmission software and it took care of the problem for about 6-9 months. But now it's back to the original problem. I wonder if the TSB re-program degrades over time? Would it be worthwhile to try to get the TSB done again to re-program it again?

Also wondering if doing a transmission flush with some better fluid would help out? I figure I'm getting kind of close to needing to change out the fluid anyway (I think the manual says 80k miles for transmission flush?)...I'm at 60k miles now.

I would talk with the dealer that performed the tsb and let them know the issue is recurring. The dealer can check if there has been further software updates for the transmission. Also, per the owner's manual, the automatic transmission fluid and filter(s) should be changed at 64,000 miles or 48 months whichever occurs first, if using your vehicle for any of the following: police, taxi, fleet, or frequent trailer towing and to change the fluid at 120,000 miles or 90 months whichever occurs first.

I would stick with the recommended ATF+4 or a recognized equivalent. Chrysler transmissions are historically very finicky and if whatever you use doesn't meet the standards set forth by Chrysler you will void the warranty on your transmission.

I would talk with the dealer that performed the tsb and let them know the issue is recurring. The dealer can check if there has been further software updates for the transmission. Also, per the owner's manual, the automatic transmission fluid and filter(s) should be changed at 64,000 miles or 48 months whichever occurs first, if using your vehicle for any of the following: police, taxi, fleet, or frequent trailer towing and to change the fluid at 120,000 miles or 90 months whichever occurs first.

Yeah I will probably visit the dealer about the TSB and see if they can load the software again. I think you meant to say change your fluid at 64k miles if used for police, taxi, fleet, towing, etc. Or change at 120k normally...correct? That's what I believe my manual said.

I drive in 110+ degree hot desert weather regularly. Do you think that would justify an early transmission fluid flush? Other than that I've only towed once, and obviously not a police, taxi, fleet vehicle.

I would stick with the recommended ATF+4 or a recognized equivalent. Chrysler transmissions are historically very finicky and if whatever you use doesn't meet the standards set forth by Chrysler you will void the warranty on your transmission.

Yeah I figured that; I was just wondering if it would be benificial to splurge on a synthetic ATF+4 fluid instead of regular?

I agree with Lobitz68, about Chrysler transmissions being finicky. I had a 2001 Neon and I made sure that I always changed the fluid at the proper time and used the recommended fluid and never had a problem in 240,000 kilometers. I knew others that didn't and their transmissions were fried at 100,000. Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance- if you take care of them they'll take care of you!

• Official Dodge Support

Yeah I will probably visit the dealer about the TSB and see if they can load the software again. I think you meant to say change your fluid at 64k miles if used for police, taxi, fleet, towing, etc. Or change at 120k normally...correct? That's what I believe my manual said.

I drive in 110+ degree hot desert weather regularly. Do you think that would justify an early transmission fluid flush? Other than that I've only towed once, and obviously not a police, taxi, fleet vehicle.

Yes, that is what I meant. Doing the trans service at the 64,000 mile interval is not an issue.

Yeah I figured that; I was just wondering if it would be benificial to splurge on a synthetic ATF+4 fluid instead of regular?

If you're going to do a drain and fill anyways, it certainly couldn't hurt. I think all of the available ATF+4 fluids are recognized by MOPAR, but look at the bottle and make sure.

• 1 month later...

Yes, Chryslers trannies are quite finicky.. however I admit they have gotten better over the years.. much better since i owned a manual tranny YJ back in the day.

Stealership have not found / pinpointed the issue yet. Just an side bar - I do not beat my trannies either.. (let the fluids warm before driving off, coming to a complete stop before moving into Reverse).. basically drive like a grandpa in this vehicle.

As for my german comment, yes Audi / VW do have their gremlins.. actually all manufactures do. Its just what would you be acceptable living with as a particular gremilin in your car.. is the question at this point.

my 2011 shifted okay but every once in a while when id shift into reverse after sitting a few monents it would clunk, and my 2014 has done it once or twice so far but it drives and shifts good so guess what ever the problem it still happens.