Winter Tire for Journey 2013

jojogg

bigtsr is correct. You don't really need the sensors. Will just need to check the pressures occasionally. He is also right that the display will go out but only on the 2011 to 13's. The 2009 and 10's will have the annoying warning light on all the time without the sensors. All I did with my 2009 was cover the light with black electrical tape till spring when I put the all seasons back on. Three winters so far and no other issues. You did not mention what year Journey you have or what size tires you are running. I have 19" rims but run 17" winter rims and tires with no issues.

Hi and welcome.

You don't really require the sensors in your

winter rims - at first the dash alert will be on

but after a number of kilometers it will ignore

lack of sensors.

The only annoying thing is the added symbol to

the display.

Thank you for your valuable information. I have 2013 Journey and the tire is 225/65R17

If you have front wheel drive I can understand getting winter tires but if you have AWD why do you need winter tires?

I tend to agree, is there a special reason you need winter tires? I'm definitely not saying it is wrong just curious. Last year we set a record here with over 2 meters of snow, my car even with the much maligned Kumho's performed very well in the deep snow. I have a 2010 R/T AWD and I was very happy with the AWD, seemed to go through anything I pointed it at.

Terry

146733255.jpg

Edited by Windancer

>Windancer wrote: Last year we set a record here with over 2 meters of snow, my car even with the much maligned Kumho's performed very well in the deep snow. I have a 2010 R/T AWD and I was very happy with the AWD, seemed to go through anything I pointed it at.

While AWD is more than adequate for deep snow the main reason one should consider purchasing is, winter tires enable you to stop quicker and more controlled. Whether you have FWD or AWD, the laws of physics apply and it's the 4 patches of rubber that contacts the ground determine stopping. AWD does not improve stopping on snow no matter what someone might think. Again it is physics. The design and more importantly, the compound of the tire determines performance in snow and no so called "all season" tire can perform as well as a true winter tire.

Winter tires are a must for pretty much anywhere in Canada. AWD, RWD, or FWD. Once you drive a winter in them, you'll never suffer with all-season tires again. I got a great 17" package from discounttire.com, Tire Rack has good options as well. From both of these companies, the TPMS modules are dirt cheap compared to the dealer and work perfectly. Why go without when the cost and convenience is so low?

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to agree, is there a special reason you need winter tires? I'm definitely not saying it is wrong just curious. Last year we set a record here with over 2 meters of snow, my car even with the much maligned Kumho's performed very well in the deep snow. I have a 2010 R/T AWD and I was very happy with the AWD, seemed to go through anything I pointed it at.

Terry

146733255.jpg

Windancer, I also have Subaru with AWD, and the first year I drove it without winters until I hit a patch of ice and found that stopping the vehicle was almost impossible. Now all my vehicles are equipped with snow tires. But then again maybe living in Saskatchewan where its pretty flat (I was born in Saskatchewan B)) may account for your problem free driving.

We don't have a whole lot of snow where I live, and the terrain is flat. We get the occasional wallop and when we do, we pretty much stay home for a few hours until the roads are plowed. That's why we skipped AWD in the first place - never had an issue with starting, stopping or steering with FWD and the Michelins which came on the 300M. Good to hear that the Kumho's performed well in Canadian snow conditions.

I live in Atlantic Canada. We can hammered every year. AWD is a must for many days during the winter.

AWD does not help you stop. Good tires do. Especially with the hills we have around here.

That said, I just bought a set of 225/55/19 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1's for the winter. I'm looking forward to running them.

Windancer, I also have Subaru with AWD, and the first year I drove it without winters until I hit a patch of ice and found that stopping the vehicle was almost impossible. Now all my vehicles are equipped with snow tires. But then again maybe living in Saskatchewan where its pretty flat (I was born in Saskatchewan B)) may account for your problem free driving.

I think the concensus here is that winter tires do help more when stopping on ice and I certainly agree with that. One thing about living here "it's a dry cold" ;)

Terry

Edited by Windancer

well ive got 58k on my 17 kumos and keep telling my wife that i want to get new tires before winter but when i get ready to do it i look at my tires and they still look good and above the tread wear ridges. i know alot of readers have had bad luck with their kumos but ive kept mine rotated and havent had any problems to complain about. of course we dont get alot of snow in al just a few storms but do seem to get alot of ice.

• 1 month later...

^^ Like you, my OEM Kumhos (19") have been great year round tires, but going into this winter, they are a little too close to the wear indicators so I decided to get winter wheels and tires this winter. I probably still have enough tread on the OEMs to get through the next two summers since I drive a convertible Mustang when it's nice.

I went down a wheel size and bought the least expensive 18" Sport Edition wheel from Tire Rack with Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 tires. They look amazingly similar to the stock wheels:

11067900204_84fa5ae002_b.jpg