Uconnect 4.3 on 2012 has gone dark, knobs don't work.

My wife left for work this morning and the Uconnect was working fine. An hour later she went to leave for an off-site meeting, and when she started the Journey the Uconnect failed to boot and the heater was blowing at full-blast (the fan was on 3 when she arrived at work). She tried to turn it down using the control knob, but the knob had no effect. Realizing the screen was dark, she tried pushing the "screen off" button to try to turn it back on - and nothing. She tried all of the other buttons & knobs, and nothing worked. She tried stopping at our local dealer, but they told her it would be Tuesday before they could look at it. She ended up having to drive around with the window open because it was unbearably hot in the car.

When she first called me about it I assumed it was due to the cold as it was negative 7 here this morning when we woke up. But even after the car warmed up she had the same problems. I toyed with it when I got home, and it's still not working.

Has anyone experienced this before? Is there any way to "reset" the Uconnect? Of course, we just hit 37,000 miles, so I'm sweating the possibility of having to pay for some costly repair right after the warranty runs out.

• 5 weeks later...

Same exact thing happened to me at 33k. The dealership is claiming that an aftermarket navi was installed and caused the problem. So I'm battling the dealership right now to get it fixed. I think they are full of it bc everything is factory and I control the navi through factory buttons and set up I think it's a ploy to get money out of me. I'm hating that we both are having this problem but I'm glad to know it's just not me so I have a little ammo to use against the dealership tomorrow. I tell you I got all the help in the world before I purchased but now that they have gotten my money it's like an act of congress to get any help since.

• 11 months later...

My Dodge Journey AVP just rolled over 29K and did the same thing! Went to a mall, walked into a store, came out an hour later, and poof no Uconnect and heater running full blast on defrost. Oddly enough, the heater kicks off once the outside temp gauge registers 43. Has anyone discovered what is the cause of this?

I agree with disconnecting the negative wire to the battery. Radio issues take at least 1/2 hour, but the radio has a small battery to keep all of your presets. If this does not work, there may be loose/corroded contacts on the TIPM, or the TIPM itself has failed. These kind of things began happening on the Nitro forum, just as the warranty had expired. Since you are so close, maybe the dealer will slit 1/2 for you.

The 43 deg thing has to do with presets programmed into the software ,

I believe this also is the reason why you have to push the defrost 2X

if the outside temp is above 40F/5C.

When you push defrost on initially it always (programmed) starts blower

at about 3/4 speed.