My Dodge Journey 2010 RXT

SaNdS2014

I live in Northern Ontario, Canada and I will normally use the specified oil type 10w30 oil. However, many years of talking with many people and garages no one can give me a solid answer.

I have always thought in the northern Ontario cold winters it would be a good idea to change the engine oil to 5w 30 for a thinner engine oil for better starting. Does anyone have an answer here for this question?

I use 5w-30, which is what I believe the owners manual calls for. There is a temperature chart which shows which oil is best suited for different temperature ranges in the owners manual. IMO, 10W-30 is too thick for todays tight engine tolerances. I only use 10W-30 on my older, high mileage vehicles. Welcome to the forum!

Edit: I use 5W-30, not 5W-20.

Edited by jkeaton

I use 5w-20, which is what I believe the owners manual calls for. There is a temperature chart which shows which oil is best suited for different temperature ranges in the owners manual. IMO, 10W-30 is too thick for todays tight engine tolerances. I only use 10W-30 on my older, high mileage vehicles. Welcome to the forum!

Agreed. Does the 3.5l have different requirements?

As stated above, your owners manual should tell you what to use for your climate. I always stick to whatever the manual says to avoid warranty issues.