Burning smell.

BAC

We've had our Journey for a week. My wife had been out in it this evening and when she pulled onto the driveway there was a burning smell comming from it. The smell seemed to be comming from underneath between the front and rear wheels. (ie not the engine/gearbox area). I had a look underneath with a torch but couldn't see anything wrong. I then took it for a 10 minute drive and pulled up and the smell was still there. By the time I got home (another 5 mins) the smell seemed to have gone.

It smelt a bit like paint burning off an exhaust, but why has it taken a week? Today is the first time the underside had got wet due to rain. Could it have been moisture burning off the hot exhaust?

Has anyone else noticed a burning smell shortly after picking up their new car? If so how long did it take to go?

Cheers!

Ours has less then 1000 miles on it and we do sometimes smell something burning but it is on the outside of the car, doesn't smell that bad and doesn't last long. I am sure what we are smelling is just new vehicle smell..

So far love our Journey...

Good luck..

• 3 months later...

Had the same experience the other day, when idling. A woman actually came over and told me that my car was smelling strange...! I got out of the car and tried to locate from where the smelling was comming, but no luck.All I could tell, was that it came from somewhere under the car. :angry:

In my case it`s not possible it`s paint, because the odo says 18.000 km`s .....?

R/T with the CRD.

Any suggestions?

I had the burning smell for a little bit too. Smelled like an oil leak. Real faint smell and was gone fast once the motor was shut off. No recent oil changes had been done and no visible leaks to my eyes. So it wasn't any spilled oil from an oil change. By the time I was able to get it to the dealer the smell dissapeared. It has not come back yet.

• 2 weeks later...
It was 95 degrees + here in Missouri this past week. I noticed something about the Journey. When the AC is on there is water dripping from behing the right rear wheel. I know it was water and nopt brake fluid because I checked it. Of course there was also the normal water dripping from the AC area.

I have had the same thing happen on hot and cold days. I have had my Journey since Janurary. Looked like the water was coming from the exhaust. I always figured it was condensation. I am in St. Louis area.

• 1 year later...

We've only had the 2010 SXT for about a month and noticed a slight burning plastic like smell coming from the passenger side from the outside of the vehicle. Popped the hood and can't definitively say where it's coming from. I smell it everytime we use the car, which is not very often. Has anyone experienced this?

most likely the catalytic converter heating up and burning off the residuals from manufacturing it. nothing to worry about. if you had you vehicle undercoated, it could be the undercoating melting off the exhaust system,

if you notice any smoke, then check for the source of it

Thanks FL! I'm just being paranoid as a first time car owner.

• 2 months later...

My wifes Dodge Journey is having the same issue. She told me today that the car was smoking under the vehicle. (Keep in mind I am a Insurance Auto Appriaser for 12 years) The front pipe which connects behind the exhaust was was burned.

Part#5085434AD

post-3907-0-55972300-1308537161_thumb.jp

The car is now over two years old and the smell has never come back. Must have been because it was new.

Thanks for update. I too was paranoid when the car was new. I thought it was burning oil somewhere. Lots of possibilities including my undercoating. After one year, I don't smell any burning oil.

• 3 months later...

I have had the same thing happen on hot and cold days. I have had my Journey since Janurary. Looked like the water was coming from the exhaust. I always figured it was condensation. I am in St. Louis area.

There is a separate evaporator/heat exchanger for the rear air, which has its own drain. Water drippage in that area is perfectly normal if the rear air is on.