Shuddering in reverse on incline

946er

Hey everyone, not sure if this question should be in the transmission section or AWD section.

Just bought a 11 DJ R/T with AWD and 44,000km's on it.

When in reverse, and backing up my driveway which has a bit of incline, the transmission "shudders" while giving the car a little bit of throttle. If I back up the driveway with more throttle, no shudder.

I traded in an 05 Pacifica Touring (202,000 km's) with 3.5L V6, FWD with traction control on this Journey, and the Pacifica had the same symptom. Even after changing the trans fluid and the filter, the Pacifica kept having the same issue.

So I'm very surprised to see this newer Journey doing the same thing.

The local Dodge Dealership, says it's "normal" as the transmission hasn't built up enough pressure at low throttle. That's why with more throttle the symptom goes away. Huh? Anyone else have a logical answer to this?

The Pacifica Forum I was part of was a big help for me when we had that car. Am hoping for the same here with you Journey owners :)

Hey everyone, not sure if this question should be in the transmission section or AWD section.

Just bought a 11 DJ R/T with AWD and 44,000km's on it.

When in reverse, and backing up my driveway which has a bit of incline, the transmission "shudders" while giving the car a little bit of throttle. If I back up the driveway with more throttle, no shudder.

I traded in an 05 Pacifica Touring (202,000 km's) with 3.5L V6, FWD with traction control on this Journey, and the Pacifica had the same symptom. Even after changing the trans fluid and the filter, the Pacifica kept having the same issue.

So I'm very surprised to see this newer Journey doing the same thing.

The local Dodge Dealership, says it's "normal" as the transmission hasn't built up enough pressure at low throttle. That's why with more throttle the symptom goes away. Huh? Anyone else have a logical answer to this?

The Pacifica Forum I was part of was a big help for me when we had that car. Am hoping for the same here with you Journey owners :)

I have noticed this on mine before, but assumed it was the scenario your dealer described. It makes sense and is a very logical conclusion. If there were other symptoms that went along with it I may be more concerned, but there are none.

My driveway has a slight incline, and I have never noticed it.

What is it with these Dealers? Everything that acts or sounds weird is always "normal".

I have never noticed it on a "slight" incline... Slight to one person could be extreme to another though. The one time I noticed it I was parked on the side of a road facing downhill. The guy in front of me was too close to get around, so I had to reverse up the hill. As stated above, after applying enough gas, the shudder (or however you want to describe it) went away. Didn't seem alarming to me, but we all have our own ideas of how a vehicle should act.

• 2 weeks later...