Dipstick broke

David Cullen

So apparently the dipstick broke and is now sitting in the tube (no idea how long it's been like that as I bought it used and "as is" but this was missed). Is the tube able to be removed on it's own if I can't fish the dipstick out? Anyone have any experience with something like this?

Generally speaking, yes, the tube can be removed. I can't say for sure on this engine, but that has been my experience in the past. I haven't heard of this before on a DJ, but who knows. Can you see it in there, or are you assuming it is there because it's not connected to the handle?

Tried getting some pics, but can't get them off my iphone. I was hoping the tube just screwed into the oil pan, but without getting it on a lift, it hard to see and it looks like I might have to drop the oil pan to get the tube out. But the dipstick has been broken long enough that debris has now filled the tube and is completely blocking it and it's solid, almost like a plug. I'm hoping to avoid taking this thing to the stealership if at all possible.

That sucks & now you got me worried as I check my oil almost daily (I know that's too frequent)

I thought this would have been a really rare problem but there are quite a few discussions & youtube video's on this.....Dodge (Chrysler) seems to have a real problem with the plastic handle breaking.

I don't think this will help the OP but for anyone else this may help if you encounter a dipstick breaking situation.

Hmm, after seeing this video, the "plug" as I put it could be the plastic end where the handle broke off. Gonna give drilling it a try tomorrow when I get home from work. I'll be sure to change the oil afterwards to remove any debris that makes it down the tube into the oil pan. I'll report back tomorrow, hopefully with good news.