2012 Dodge Journey Computer Issue

So today I changed the plugs on the DJ and when I went to restart the vehicle, I am getting all sorts of odd things happening. The wipers come on, check engine light, gas light and TRAC light are all on. The dashboard displays a message to push clutch and press start/stop but it's an automatic. there is a NO BUS message and no time or temperature registered. Does anyone know what I should do next?

Yeah. I was just going t o say that, if he had a V6 and had to remove the intake and all, there's a high likely hood something got disconnected. If it's a 4 cylinder, then that would not be that much of an issue, but at any rate, yes, agree with the above. Disconnect the battery for a bit to reset everything. Will it start or not?

Does the Pentastar have a plastic intake manifold? If so, like the 3.7, you have to use the recommended plugs or carbon deposits will begin to build up and make havoc for a smooth running engine.

It is a 2.4 liter, 4 cylinder. Fairly easy access to the plugs. I did disconnect a large multipin connection just left and back of the fuse box. Has a large red swing handle that disconnects it. I reconnected it right away but I'm not even sure what that is. Do any of you know what I'm talking about? It won't start at all. When I get in and press the brake and hit the start/stop, there's a brief clicking noise under the hood, the steering wheel display says to push the clutch pedal and press the start stop button. I get a "No BUS" message at the top of that display. The airbag light, gas light, check engine light all on. I have the neg terminal disconnected right now and will give it 15 minutes to see if that resets anything.

You have a powertrain warranty remaining, but the bumper to bumper component is expired.

So, have you tried the battery disconnect/wait/reconnect yet? Did it help?

Note that almost every procedure that involves electricity (even the disconnecting of the radio, for example) that one does on the DJ and on most modern vehicles begins with 'disconnect the battery'. With any luck all you've done is glitched a controller - and resetting the unit with the battery disconnect procedure would hopefully being it back. If not, this can become expensive, which is why I took an extended warranty for my vehicle.

Among some suggestions that come immediately to mind if resetting does not resolve the problem are to take it to the dealer and do not tell them what you've done and hope that they can somehow get FCA to provide a goodwill warranty settlement or you might search eBay or contact an LKQ member scrapyard and try to get another module from the same model/engine/year as yours (the part number of the component will tell all) and hope that resolves the issue. A really quick check indicates that the TIPM modules go for between $90 and $650, and BCMs for between $50 and . . . . . more.

• 1 year later...

Ok I started having the same issue yesterday and nothing worked. It's currently at the dealer now. They are all dumbfounded but don't seemed to be too surprised. When I find out the issue I will repost and update. Thanks!

Edited by TaylorGang

On 7/27/2016 at 7:41 AM, TaylorGang said:

Ok I started having the same issue yesterday and nothing worked. It's currently at the dealer now. They are all dumbfounded but don't seemed to be too surprised. When I find out the issue I will repost and update. Thanks!

They are telling me it's the PCM and that it will cost $1,100 US to replace any thoughts I can get it done cheaper?

• 2 weeks later...

So here we are almost 2 weeks later. I go the DJ fixed. They claim they cannot flash any used PCM at all as the VIN is hard coded for 2011 and up. I went on the dealer site and order the part for $435 and had them deliver it to themselves LOL. But some other things I wanted to share is that what I noticed before the DJ failed.

• Clock time would not stay accurate.
  • Engine drag
  • Shudder with driving and in reverse
  • That lovely clunk when you accelerate at low speeds and abruptly release the gas.

All of these things cease to exist anymore so these may be warnings for a pcm issue. I just wanted to share. 

Edited by TaylorGang