8.4N System Updates

Just installed 2 updates in my 8.4N system myself and can't believe how easy it is to do. It updated the software version from 5.21 (CTP15) to 6.22 (CTP16). Have any of you out there experienced the same thing or did it give you trouble? Just remember that if more than 1 update is available make sure to install 1 at a time. You cannot place multiple updates on the same USB flash drive at 1 time.

I tried to update my RBZ MyGig in my Nitro from a CD. It just stopped in the middle. The radio no longer worked. I finally got it to take the disc again, and the same thing happened. When there is an update available, I just take it to my Dealer. So far, 2 updates in one year and I do not notice anything different so I have no idea what they were for.

• 4 weeks later...

Just saw this thread . . . . yes, you need to change the radio module - it is a 10 minute job and it costs - you can buy the radio from the dealer for $2K, you can find 'pulls' for about $800 on eBay. You can use radios from the Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger or the Journey (as long as the radio is an RB5). Part number differ between the vehicles, even if the unit itself is the same. And make absolutely certain that you check the part number against the features because there is no other way, short of plugging it in to determine if the unit has nav or not.

There was a hardware change in mid 2012. The newer ones need an unlock code, but there is a member on this board who can generate one for you.

No, it does not include the display, though you already have the larger screen and SiriusXM, so you are equipped with everything. You would need to transfer your radio subscription to the new radio.

I did it. I am more than satisfied since it is fully integrated with the vehicle. I would not want to use my phone as a navigator for a number of reasons, in part because the screen is too small. Also, most jurisdictions won't let you touch your phone, but your infotainment system is fair game. in any case, too many screens is too distracting (and messy) for my taste.

Of course, to each their own.

Edited by bramfrank